These were super quick and easy to make, yet something I like to jokingly call "dinner party worthy". Some of our quick weeknight dinners leave something to be desired in the looks category, but this one I would gladly serve to guests!
1 pack Tofu (1 lb)
1/2 cup Almond Meal (blanched, not blanched, whatever)
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbps Pesto
1 small-medium onion
italian spices (oregano, thyme, red pepper, etc..)
2 - 4 Red Peppers (one per person)
1 bunch Chives
note: we made this a few weeks ago, I hope these instructions are accurate enough!
-preheat oven to 375 deg-
1. Mince up the onion and sauté until translucent.
2. Take the tofu, cut it up into small pieces (about 1/4"). Toss in a big bowl.
3. Add the onions, the tomato paste, pesto and almond meal to the tofu in the bowl. Stir it up. Add a little salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, red pepper, etc.. to your taste preferences.
4. Take the tops off the peppers by cutting around the stem with a paring knife. Pull out the center with the white part and seeds. Use your hands to remove any that stayed behind.
5. Fill the peppers with the stuffing mixture. Put stuffed peppers in a pyrex dish or whatnot
6. Bake until tops are uber golden (if I recall it took about 45 min?!) Top with chives and serve!
note: this filling made way more than enough for two peppers... we filled reusable silicon muffin cups with the filling, and baked it for about 20 min - until golden. Those were super good reheated later in the week, almost like vegetarian meatballs!